Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Utilizing Info Learned During
The Bosunator Challenge

During the Bosunator Challenge I tried to make mental note of things that need to be adjusted, modified, etc, on Scout to make her perform better, and more comfortable for the crew (namely...ME! lol)   It was a good test at nearly 50 miles long, hours on all points of sail and sailing not only in the day but through the night as well.

One of the interesting things in a boat like this is that primarily, I will be to the only one aboard. This means that making mods to fit me and my personal taste are AOK. That's kind of fun. She truly is MY boat.

Ventilation


I live in one of the warmer locations....in the universe. The Paradox has a ventilation system cleverly built in, but with all those windows allowing the sun in....comes the warmth.  Even now in the fall....sometimes it's too much. I was perusing the Yahoo Groups Paradox Builders site and saw a technique another Paradox owner employed to increase the airflow through the cabin...and I did something very similar.
Vent hole in deck as per plans...works pretty well...but I wanted more breeze.
First, I had an unused 4 inch screw in inspection hatch laying around. I took it, removed the screw in lid, and sanded the threads out of the exterior ring. Then I got a standard 4" PVC 90 degree elbow. It fits with a perfect friction only fit into the deck-plate ring after the threads were removed.  A quick trip to the table saw and it is no longer a full 90, but instead just enough of an elbow to allow a forward facing scoop. When inserted, the scoop can be rotated to point into or away from the apparent wind. The plan is to fabricate a handle that will extend down into the vent box so that I can rotate the scoop from within the boat.



Modified inspection plate ring (not mounted yet )
Modified 4" PVC "elbow"









I think that this will greatly improve ventilation and temperature inside. I will have to sail with it and evaluate if it works as planned and make sure that it does not interfere with the tack strop...but I think it will be just fine.

Elbow inserted into ring...completely rotatable



Elbow rotated to port



Elbow rotated aft

Windex Illumination


Deck Level Windex with LED light and Bezel 


Bezel  mounted over LED
I also had a chance to sail all night long using the LED light I placed in the deck that illuminates the Windex.







Looking straight down  into the Bezel at the LED 
The light worked great, however, I was getting a bit of a glare from the light source itself , back in my face. So I am going to try a slight modification. I bought a $3 aluminum mini flashlight from the hardware store. I bought it because I wanted the aluminum bezel it had.



I took the light apart and placed the aluminum bezel on the LED Windex light fixture with a little silicone. The light fixture is now embedded within the bezel and should not be able to be seen from the cockpit. If it does not work, it's just a matter of pulling it off and throwing it away.












Human Propulsion


After using Nate's paddle board paddle, I determined that it was a success!
So I ordered a paddle of my own from West Marine and it will become a permanent addition to Scout along with the Yuloh. The two together give a nice variety in muscle use for extended rows.





Mainsheet
Couple of other deals I am working on too. I need to make a couple changes to the mainsheet so that sailing down-wind and off-the-wind it does not chafe on the top rudder gudgeon. I have a plan for that, that I will enact tomorrow.


Mast Wiring Deck Connection

I also need to change the wiring in the mast to exit topsides instead of going through the mast partners. Having to try to get the wires through the small wide spot in the mast partner opening while lowering the mast is difficult when balancing the mast mid air....and it could cause a loss of control, twisting of the deck and or a fracture to the deck before the mast is seated in it's shoe. I need to make a new exit hole in the mast above the deck and then install a removable electrical connector on the deck . This will also probably knock off a solid 5 minutes from the rigging time as this has been a bit of a hassle. I have tried to find ways to make it easier....but I think just biting the bullet and moving the exit hole is the best strategy so I do not inadvertently lose control of the mast and damage the deck.

Seating

I need to widen out the removeable bench seat to allow me to slide my butt forward and lean back, instead of sitting bolt upright. It was fine for a few hours....but after that it became uncomfortable.

Best part of making upgrades is going out to see how they work. Today would have been a beautiful day but I didn't make it out. I am off tomorrow and Friday as well.  Hope to find some decent breezes and get on the water then.




No comments:

Post a Comment