Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Fun Sail Tonight

Got out there tonight in a way that only a Micro-Cruiser can. 

At 3pm Scout was on her trailer in the garage...by 4pm she was under sail on the water....got a super 3 hour sail in, in beautiful conditions, off the water around 7:30...home with Scout all tucked away in the garage safe and sound by 8:30.  Luv it!!!

Tried out a few of the latest mods. 

Mainsheet Fairleads

Fairleads top view



The fairleads for the mainsheet worked great at keeping it from engaging the rudder or anything else. They also seem to make for a better sheeting angle hard on the wind. I am very happy with them so far. 
New Sheeting angle downwind

Fairleads on Transom







New sheeting angle beating


New sheeting angle reaching





     PVC Air Scoop




The Air Scoop is a success. Definitely increases the volume of air and the push behind it. It's a little awkward to rotate by reaching into the vent box...but it's do-able and not something you are doing every 5 minutes. Aiming it directly into the apparent wind really increases the air flow into the cabin. It does not appear to interfere with anything, which is what I was worried about. 


You can also see in the pics above I have made the wiring for the anchor light, anemometer, and VHF exit the mast above the deck. This is because it was a royal pain trying to have it exit under the deck, and within the vent box. I was afraid it was going to cause me to lose control of the mast as I tried to use one hand to feed the wires to the appropriate "wide spot" in the deck for them to feed through...while balancing the mast with the other hand. I have wired the light and anemometer wires through an Aqua Signal deck plug. I have yet to pass the vhf coax through yet but will do so using a Blue Sea Systems Cable Clam. For now I just have the coax coiled up right there. I also added a 90 degree elbow to the exit point on the mast to prevent water from entering if it rains. 


Moved Anemometer...I moved the readout for the anemometer to the right of the vent box and at eye level .....I like it there a lot better than where it was. 


I'm big on two things. 1. Cutting down rig/derig time...and 2. making the boat easier and easier to single hand. Little things make a big difference when coming in to the dock. Usually, since I am not using a motor I am busy furling sail, or dealing with yuloh as we approach the dock. Having things "set" and ready to rock prior to arrival is the key. I already installed bow lines that lead back to the companionway and are secured there always ...ready to go...on BOTH sides of the boat. Tonight I figured out a better way to secure them..as well as a way to have the stern lines mounted, yet secure, and easy to deploy upon arriving at the dock. More on this later. :-) 

Yuloh...  I think I am getting it!  Tonight, once the water went to glass....I was yulohing at 2 knots pretty effortlessly compared to when I first started. The angle the blade dips in the water makes a huge difference.  I am finally figuring it out. I also have a Standup Paddle arriving at West Marine tomorrow and I will carry that as well as a way to change out what muscle groups I am using on long rows.  And....I am going to rework the paddle end of the yuloh. I have learned enough about it to now know that the foil is cut backwards on the blade.  I think after that re-work I should really be able to "get my groove on" with the yuloh....at least I hope!! :-)

Dry Launch/Retrieve!...yep figured out a system to get the boat in and out....with dry feet! Thank goodness!! The water is getting cold and is only going to get colder! 

No comments:

Post a Comment