Saturday, November 23, 2013

Siti-Toof 2 disease.....
Heard of it?
I think I have it. 

I've been sailing since about the 7th grade. I'm edging towards the 50 mark now, so I will let you do the math,  but it's been a while. Through those years many different hobbies have gathered my attention at one time or another. Radio Control Airplanes, Scuba Diving, Real Airplanes, Sailplanes, Hot-Air Balloons, Photography, Video, ...yeah...I tend to bounce around. In fact, I can remember it severely pissing my dad off that I, unlike him, bounced around from one thing that interested me to another.  It has never bothered me a bit that once I felt I had mastered something, or at least taken it as far as to where the challenge and fun had worn off, I would moved onto the next thing. I probably would have more $$ in the bank had I stuck to collecting the Lionel Model Trains I started collecting when I was in high school, and never tried anything new....but I would not have led half the life I have. No regrets there, for even one second.  

One thing, however, has pretty much been a constant in my life since the 7th grade. Sailing. Why? I have no idea. I had no "in" into sailing. I knew no-one that did it, nobody in my family and none of my friends.  But the first time I saw people sailing on our lake, I knew I had to do it. What I did  not know, was what a life changer it would be for me. 


Like so many, I started small and the boats eventually started growing. First an 8 foot plastic catamaran,



 then windsurfers, beach cats,







17 footers, then 23 footers...












then,,,,,,,      

STOP!!! 

que the scratched record sound effect!

What happened? Never any bigger than a 23??? What??? C'mon.... Every sailor has it. I had it. You know, that desire to just keep sailing bigger and bigger craft. Yes, someday 'Jo and I were gonna own a "big boat" that we would keep at the coast.  They call the disease "two foot-itis"...that nagging uniquely American trait of never being satisfied with what you have and always wanting more. Bigger, faster, heavier, longer, etc, etc, etc. 

Here's the issue with a "Big Boat"....

I can't afford it!!!! LOL 

 I cant afford it and I only recently realized it. hahaha This last summer we were actually looking at making the move, getting the "big boat", and realizing the dream.  It was kind of a cruel joke when I finally figured out the punchline...but there it was ....punching me squarely in the face. "HEY STUPID...YOU DO NOT MAKE ENOUGH MONEY TO LIVE THIS LIFESTYLE!" .  Actually, I thought I had it figured out where we could afford the big boat, and in truth, we actually could. We just couldn't afford the slip, maintenance, upkeep, repairs, etc etc etc,, Maybe it is more correct to say....we could afford it, IF we were willing to modify enough other aspects of our current lives to do it BUT we are not. At least not right now.

Along comes Scout:



Now oddly enough and totally unrelated to this exploration into the possibility of purchasing a "big boat", about the same time I was finishing up work on "Scout" getting her ready for her first sail. Scout was another "exploration" into new territory. A truly capable micro-cruising boat of only 13'10". Seriously?  LOL  How can that be? And who in their right mind would allow themselves to be seen on such a ridiculously small craft? No self-respecting sailor who has spent years moving up through the boat sizes, honing his skills to someday sail the "oceans blue" would be caught dead driving this thing. Right?  Wrong!....at least in my case. 

The last few months has been a re-invention of sailing for me. I have had so much fun and joy sailing this pint-size plywood boat that I strap on like a backpack to go sailing, I can't even tell you. The initial complete and utter disappointment upon the realization that slip fees at the coast were going to be in the $700/month range for a big boat (and that, that was not a number we were willing to part with)  has been replaced by the sheer joy of a whole new arena of skinny water cruising grounds right close to home, just sitting there waiting for me to explore them. The amazing ease and speed of rigging/de-rigging this little boat makes going out for a day-sail a no-brainer.....even if only for a couple hours. Her ability to handle some pretty stout conditions, and also to be driven manually without the hassles associated with internal combustion engines in the marine environment, make her incredibly capable and versatile..and FUN. And when we are done blasting along the shoreline, I bring her home on her micro-trailer, towed with my paid for, 28 year old,, gass-sipping, beat-up, old mini-truck........

and tuck her safe and sound into the garage. It's about as close to "Free" sailing as I think I am likely to get. 

Suddenly there are a myriad of new sailing events on the horizon that I wish to attend that previously were no-can-do's. Events that traverse water thin enough that most would consider it a puddle, yet more than sufficient to sail Scout confidently across. There is also another whole community of sailors to meet and become friends with. Folks that discovered many, many moons ago, what is just now becoming apparent to me. Many of them are the pioneers of the beach-camping, micro-cruising genre. And there is lots of new stuff to learn, because even though Scout is still a sailboat, she is a micro-cruiser first and foremost, not just different in length but style of sailing and certainly in state of mind. Really could there be a better boat for the Pardey call to action of "Go Small, Go Now" than a true micro-cruiser? Now I realize that they were referring to "going over the horizon and not coming back",  but that is not in the cards for everyone. In fact,  the truth of the matter is...most of us will never do it.  Even for those that will achieve it, but are still years away from the departure date....a boat like "Scout" gets you out of the recliner, on the water, and barely makes an impact on the savings account. And don't think for a second there are not lessons to be learned sailing a small boat.  I can tell you....there are. The bonus is, as they are learned, skills improve and confidence builds.

Some of my friends "get it"...most don't. That's OK. 'Till I sailed her, I didn't totally "get it" either. I was intrigued a bit by it, but I didn't really "get it". 

I work for a living and will be working for years to come. It's not in the cards that I will sail away over the horizon in a $300k Bristol Channel Cutter....and honestly, ....it sounds wonderful but I am not sure if I would love it or not.

 I have had just a tiny taste of some longer distance coastal passages in "Dauntless". Enough to realize that 95% of the people that profess they want to do it,..have absolutely zero idea of what they are talking about.  Enough to realize that I like to do it for relatively short durations, when I know eventually, I will be going home to a warm bed that does not move, a hot shower, and  no thought in the middle of the night of a dragging anchor, slatting halyard, or stretching dock line.  A home where more than likely I will not feel nauseated for 10-12 hours at a time, and all my crap is out in the garage to play with. I have determined for myself that all that stuff is fun for me on a "part-time" basis only.  LOL 

Here is the lesson I have learned.  "Does that make me any less of a sailor?" Answer for me ..."No".  No-one can answer that question for you....but you. Truly though ...the real question needs to be "Does the Sailing you ARE doing make you happy?"  and the answer needs to be "Yes".  If it is, it really does not matter what anyone else's opinion is because when it comes right down to it..it's your call.  If it does not make you happy....what's the point?

 I sailed Scout the other day in the company of 9 other boats, all larger. There was a time when I would have been consumed with envy of the others. I love their boats. Every one of them has it's own special characteristics. And then there was my boat... little "Scout".


 As I sat there on the beach,all the boats tied up in front of us...I found not a twinge of envy. Rather....I found it awesome that everyone there loved the boat that they were sailing, as their boat  fit their particular style and budget at this particular moment in time. Without those boats, every single one of them.....we would not have all been there enjoying the evening. So every boat that was there....was the "perfect" boat. Why? Because its owner was not at home thumbing through a magazine "wishing" he was out there joining us, or somewhere else sailing......they were doing it, living it, loving it. 

 The median age of those of us that are partaking in this pocket-cruiser/micro-cruiser thing , well.....let's just say we are not spring chickens.  At this age...if you are not finding something to bring you joy....you are throwing away precious seconds, minutes, days, weeks, months, or God forbid ...YEARS....that you cannot retrieve. If you think sailing is your nirvana as I do....get off your ass and find something to sail, be it 90 foot long or 12.....get it....and Sail It! Once the canvass is up and the sail drawing, I guarantee you, you will be consumed in the joy of the moment. It is an escape from reality like no other. Size doesn't matter.....participation does. 

For the time being, anyway,...the answer to the question for me is suddenly..."YES!" I am happy doing exactly the type of sailing I am doing. I still love my pocket-cruiser, "Dauntless",  and will continue to sail her as well.  I also love this little micro-cruiser "Scout". It appears as though big boats are "out" for me...and that's OK.

On the way home the other day I pulled up to the gas station with "Scout" in tow. The guy at the next pump laughed and said...  "Gotta love that!...there is no ego associated with THAT boat!" LOL   I took it as a compliment of the highest order. :-)

So back to the title of this blog.....Yes, I have it. A raging case of "Siti-Toof 2" disease ( 2 foot-itis in reverse!) Surprises me too! But I just keep looking at my favorite boats online and in magazines.....each one two foot smaller than the last. 

Of course, don't forget....I am still me and always will be.  I reserve the right at a later time to change my mind and pick out whatever size boat I can afford and brings me joy. Why? because that is why I do it. You should too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment