Thursday, September 26, 2013

Groundhog Day?

 Out of bed this morning and into my new reality. First thing I am supposed to do is to proceed to a stupid little machine. It's a little bastard and makes me bleed every morning. The long spring loaded spear pokes whatever finger I have chosen to sacrifice to it's blood thirsty appetite, I wince, and curse it. Of course I have already loaded the second half of the machine with a strip of "Magic" paper with a circuit board printed on it. I know that theses strips are magic, as the wizard that produces them will not turn loose of any unless someone parts with $75 for 100 of them. So in effect....  .75 cents of my sailing money just went down the drain. 

As my finger oozes I slide the paper strip into the red fluid which both provides me life, and apparently now...threatens to shorten it if I don't properly maintain its chemistry. The black box beeps indicating it has drunk enough....and I wait. My eyes focusing on the LCD screen...anticipating the coming number that will either praise my efforts, or tell me I am failing at my task of maintaining a safe glucose level.  This morning... 103. The best it's been so far. Holy shit..is all the working out, dietary change, meds, and everything that comes with it finally working? Won't know until I see it down between 80-100 regularly, but it's a start.  Even though 103 is "3" above normal....it's damn close...I'll take it.  Now...back to work. Prepare and eat breakfast, which I have never ever done prior to this new reality. I always skipped breakfast....but I'm not allowed to now. And then...exercise. First ...and the dog loves this...an hour walk with "the dood". He thinks it's great. I think..."there goes an hour of my day". LOL  Later in the day or evening...an hour in the gym...or on the bike.  Drop the weight is the mantra. Every day is groundhog day. 


Dauntless sits on her trailer in the yard. She almost left here, permanently. I had her up for sale and received a full price offer. I thought for a while we would move to a larger boat that we would keep in a slip at the coast. hahaha  Think again wizard. An education in slip rates for Southern California quickly threw that plan out the window. Since we will be staying in a "trailer sailor" there is no way I'm letting Big D go.  For one...she is ours. We owe nothing on her.  More importantly...She's tough. She can take anything I throw at her...and has. I know of no other trailer sailor in her size range that holds a 
candle to her abilities. Yes, some are faster...yes some are more modern, yes some might have more luxuries or try to make themselves look like a bigger boat with accessories.....but Dauntless is the real deal. Turn up the wind....and throw the chips down on the table....and she is in the game when the others are folding and throwing in the cards. I love that about her. One thing about sailing is there are no "posers". You can't fake it once you slip the dock lines. Your skills are on display for everyone to see...and mother nature makes no exceptions. That's why there are no blowhards that sail. They won't do it....because you cant fake it.  Boats are the same way. You can add stuff to make your boat look like more than she is....but the boats that kick ass are not the boats designed based around appearances...to be a condo at anchor or in the slip.....but those that are designed to be seaworthy. Form follows function. There is a reason Dauntless looks like the Gorton's Fishtick Fisherman's boat. It's the same reason the Gorton Fisherman is not out in the North Sea fishing in a Laser. Turn up the wind and see who's happy. 

I have spent years now where it seems I am constantly working on Dauntless. This gets frustrating sometimes. Lets face it..she is 35 years old. Things need to be repaired as they break...and then there are always upgrades to do. Would it be different with a newer boat? For a while , probably. But the newer boat is not new forever. Then what?  Over the years I have replaced her ballast, done a huge blister job on her, barrier coated her, put some new sails on her, completely re-worked her 12 volt system, upgraded electronics, put a new trailer under her, replaced 95 percent of the teak, built canvas covers, dodger and bimini, replaced standing rigging, running riggin, lighting...etc etc etc. And still she needs more. LOL  Every day is groundhog day

This winter, I am keeping Big D out of the water for a while. During that time she is going to get a workover on her interior. I plan on finishing installing beadboard panels and teak trim, new cushions, and varnish. I'd like to replace the aging AC electrical system with high quality stuff like I did the 12v system..and a few other projects. Of course the biggest hurdle to overcome on these projects will be $$. Every day is groundhog day.




Meanwhile....I have Scout. Scout will be my savior while Big D is down for maintenance.... and she is already showing me a new side to sailing. Big plans keep going around in my head of trips I can make on Scout. It is an exciting thing to ponder. Right now...Scout is in the shakedown mode and myself in the learning mode. She is quite different than anything I have ever sailed. Unique in ability and the style of sailing she demands. Scout is something I have NOT experienced before...and that is a good thing.  She's like a new t-shirt.....easy to throw on in a split second. We are gonna have some fun. 

While Scout keeps me in my "sailing fix", I will work with my old friend Dauntless. She will get a few months of attention right here in the yard. People will drive by and see "that cute little sailboat that that guy is always working on" and wonder "does that guy ever sail that thing?".  They will shake their heads knowing that sailing is boring, slow, etc. and wonder "what possesses that idiot to throw good money after bad into that tub?"  What they never see is where is that boat when she's not in the driveway. They would never believe it.


For when Dauntless is at her best,...when she shines....when she does what she does  .....only Jo and I...and a few of our closest friends ever see it. It's our secret.....the places we go, the adventures we share,  the excitement we experience.  Maybe that's a good thing. It's something we share with a select group.




We travel to places the average person will never know....we know the satisfaction of planning, navigating,  sailing, being self-sufficient,  and revel in taking responsibility for our own safety. We experience the incredible beauty of nature and interact with some of the most amazing wildlife the planet has to offer. (Click here to see some of the adventure) 

I'm glad Dauntless is staying with us. Where Scout is like a new t-shirt....Dauntless is more like a favorite warm winter coat. She will transport us to go to places we could otherwise never go, while keeping us safe, warm, and protected. She will continue to bring us adventures and allow us to join an incredible group friends that she has brought us to know and love. 





As I am typing this,  Ensign is staring at me....and staring........staring.....staring...




um ....I gotta go. It's time to feed the groundhog. 



6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good decision, sometimes you don't realise how good a boat is until you get the next one and then it's too late

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bursledon Blogger is right. I sold my Paradox and regretted it afterwards.

    You have a great blog, Sean. Love reading it.

    Cheers, BIll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks William ...the feeling is mutual! :-) Can't wait to see minnow sailing. just came back from a great 15 knot flat water sail in Scout.....I'm slowly learning how to sail her.... she's a blast! Thanks for the inspiration to go with a Paradox. I have followed your Paradox adventures for a long time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying your adventures, Sean--both old and new. That Montgomery seems a nice boat. I see there is a new cruising cutter, same size, in production. I wonder how the two compare?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have sailed in the company of one of the cutter rigged current production 23's ....very different boat. We share the same exact hull but the deck, rig and sailplan are very very different

      Delete
  5. Agree with Bursledon. I've had a Monty 17, sold her and now I'm looking at buying one back. These little plastic critters do get under your skin.

    ReplyDelete