Thursday, September 12, 2013

Splashdown - The Paradox "Scout" has Sailed.

Today was the day. There will always be more to do....but enough was done that today was the day!

Around 5pm I got Scout down to the marina, rigged her up, and launched.


Rigging up - Fastest/easiest boat I have ever rigged
First time afloat! 
 We spent a little time at the dock filling ballast tanks...then I cast off...hoping that I could figure out
Ballast tanks full, time to go!
the sculling deal. Well, I did...at least good enough to get out into Thompson Bay and set sail. Only had an hour and a half of sunlight...and I don't have a mast light rigged as of yet...so we had to be off at sundown.  A very light breeze out of the North was just what the doctor ordered to play around a bit and to get the feel for the boat.

She is initially much more tender than I am used to....but stiffens up immediately upon a slight heel. Even as a snails pace I was able to work her upwind which delighted me to no end. She also showed no signs of stalling out when tacking. I have heard that this can be a problem. The tacks were slow...but in smooth water she carried her momentum around with no issue. Next we'll have to try it in some sportier conditions.






I was by myself....by design. Didn't want a lot of folks watching me try to figure out this, fix that, rework something else. Much easier to do it at my own pace. Unfortunately that means not a lot of pictures.


Upwind in light air...yes! It goes upwind with no keel/centerboard as advertised!


Scout's first sunset on the water, but not the last
John Owens of J.O Woodworks made the yuloh for me...and it worked just fine....especially considering it was the first time I have used one. I suspect that as my technique gets better , the boat will move better and better as well.  Thanks J.O.!!!!!

Lezlie..you did a great job. I wish you could have been here to give her a try. :-)

More sailing to come over the next couple of weeks. I have a couple little issues to deal with, and then there is a list of never ending "wouldn't it be cool to......(fill in the blank) projects. Next time I sail her I will plan for a day with a little more breeze and one when I can stay out longer. By then I will have the light  installed and won't be forced in  by sunset.
Packed up and road ready... 20 minutes

Scout is all tucked away in the garage tonight.

It was a good day.

:-)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, this brought tears to my eyes. I wish I could have been there too.

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you both. I have built and flown first flights on two different aircraft so I suspect I know the feelings and emotions better than most. It is a very special moment to savor and remember.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congatulations to both you and Lezlie.
    Scout looks great and will hopefully provide you with great adventures to come.
    Welcome to the exclusive club.
    Be prepared for lots of talking....

    Best wishes
    Pete (Johanna)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Pete! :-) You and Johanna have been an inspiration. Lezlie did a fatastic job on Scout and I am happy to be her caretaker. I know I kind of cheated, by not building my own from scratch....but I am going to enjoy this little boat nonetheless. I hope to sail the pants off her this winter, learning how to get the most out of her....and then maybe consider some kind of adventure in her. I am excited. And as for Lezlie....I already told her if she gets out this way Scout is here for her to sail.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete